Parents, decide ahead of time your own convictions about dating.
The goal of a parent in the dating years would be to guard the purity of the teen and to set high standards and goals.
“Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers.” II Corinthians 6:14a (ESV)
Have conversations with your pre-teen or teen ahead of time to explain your boundaries but also help him determine his own convictions.
The “Dating Questionnaire” from Parenting Today’s Adolescent is one tool to use to create conversation about the subject with your teen.
- What is the purpose of dating?
- What is a date?
- How old should you be to date?
- If you were a parent, when would you let your child date?
- When should you be able to double-date?
- Would you choose to date only Christians?
RESOURCES BY FAMILY LIFE, DENNIS AND BARBARA RAINEY
Also: Boundaries in Dating, Dr. John Townsend